Another Norman Walker salad! This contains some of the same ingredients as Tuesday’s #1 Salad, but the taste is entirely different, though just as good! Because I covered the health benefits of celery, carrot, and tomato in the salad #1 post, today I will cover the health benefits of red cabbage, avocado, and radishes.
Rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, red cabbage is an ultimate cancer preventative. When you know it’s also good for your gut and heart, what’s not to love about it?
Behold, the wonderful avocado! It contains some of the same properties as red cabbage (double bonus!) and is also great for the skin, hair, and nails. Despite its high fat content, it is an excellent option when trying to lose weight, and a recent study showed it aids the healing of cancer.
Radishes are high in vitamin C and fiber content, which means it supports your immune system and cleans out your gut. It contains a lot of vitamins and minerals, and is very low in fat, so eat as much of this as you can/want!
These salads are also surprisingly filling, so go ahead and make them as a meal, not as a side dish. Truthfully, eat to your heart’s content. This salad is low in fat but high in nutrition. Your body will love you for it!
- 2 T celery, finely chopped
- 2 T carrot, finely grated
- 2 T lettuce - finely chopped and mixed together
- 1 T onion
- ½ medium sized tomato
- 2 T red cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 T banana squash, finely chopped
- 1 delicious apple, shredded
- 1 large fig, cut in segments
- 2 T honey (you can substitute for maple syrup)
- 2 T walnuts, chopped
- ½ medium sized avocado, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 5 small radishes, use whole
- stuffed olives
- Mix the banana squash, apple, fig, honey, and walnuts together.
- Arrange the above mixture in the center of the plate.
- Around the mixture, arrange in circular rings as follows - celery, then carrot, a mixture of lettuce, onion, and tomato, red cabbage.
- Place avocado slices and radishes around sides, stuffed olives in center and garnish with parsley.